not yet added to the Family Trees on this site
(To date I have been unable to prove a connection between those named below & my ancestors)
· ID No 1001. In Gunthwaite deeds, there is reference to three generations of Micklethwaits before the time of Edward 1. (1272-1307). Namely:- Roger de Micklethwait; his son John & grandson Baldwin.
· ID No 1002. In Dodsworth deeds, Adam de Micklethwait & his son John are mentioned. Adam is said to have had a good estate & to have married Susanna, daughter of John de Langdale.
The Inquisitions Post Mortem records (1236 - 1432) for the
· ID No 1003. Walter de Mickelthwayt in 1277.
· ID No 1004. Robert de Mikelthwayt in 1303.
· ID No 1005. Another de Mekilthwayt in 1304.
Dugdales visitation of
· ID No 1008. Adam de Micklethwayt.
· ID No 1009. His son Henricus de Mickelthwayt.
· ID No 1010. William de Michelthwayt.
· ID No 1011. His son William de Mickelthwayt.
· ID No 1012. Robertus de Micklethwait.
· ID No 1013. Johes de Mictylthwayt. (15th century)
· ID No 1014. Leonard Micklethwait of Newlay Hall probably received & welcomed Edward I & Queen Eleanor in 1275.
The Poll Tax Returns for
· ID No 1015. Adam de Mekkelhawath; Magota Mekkelwayth; Johanna de Mickilwayte; and William de Mickilwayte. Also William & Joanna at Cawthorne; Adam; Alice & Magota at Ingbirchworth; Alice at Skellow; Robert, Elias & Roger at Clifford, Nr. Boston Spa; Richard at Little Smeaton, Nr Pontefract; William at Arthington & John at Marston.
ID No 1016.
· ID No 1017. Agnes Micklethwait married Thomas Chapman July 1578
The West Riding Muster Rolls (1680) Part 1 lists:-
· ID No 1022. Josias Micklethwait of Cawthorne. (Musketeer) . He may well be one of those listed on the Hodroyd tree as item Nos 1025R or 1831D.
Parish records from Cawthorne,
· Mary buried 1687; Benja born 1691& Widd buried 1691. They are all likely to be related to either Josiah (ID No 500) or Richard (ID No 1025) but most of the records do not name the parents so it is not possible to establish in all cases who is related to whom.
18th Century wills include the following:-
· ID No 1835. Richard Micklethwait of Water Hall, Penistone. Administration dated 1732 was granted to his widow Elizabeth (ID No 1835A). Penistone Parish Register records four baptisms as follows:- Maria 1713 (ID No 1835E) ; Richard 1715 (ID No 1835B); Christopher 1717 (ID No 1835C) & Joseph 1720 buried 1723 (ID NO 1835D).
· There are also records of numerous other families with the surname Micklethwaite dwelling at places all over South West Yorkshire including Penistone; Barnsley, Mirfield, Denby, Huddersfield, Thornhill, Wakefield, Birstall, Kirkheaton; Bradfield; Hartwith; Hunshelf; Onesacre; Stocksbridge; Woodroyd; Bolsterone, Dewsbury; Fishlake; Kirkburton; Shipton; Honley; Hook & Sandal-Magna. Information about many of them can be found at http://www.ancestryhost.org/andymick/mirfie5.pdf
IGI records show the following:-
ID No 1906. Micklethwaits of
ID No 1907. Micklethwait of
· The 1901 UK Census lists 75 Micklethwaits ending without an E & 547 with an E. Some of them are included in our family tree charts, others remain unidentified. Study of the 1901 census together with the 1911 census is a job for the next generation to undertake!