Coats of Arms

Back

In Sir William Dugdales visitation of Yorkshire in 1666, he refers to a letter dated 1626 issued by John Borough Miles, Norroy King of Arms of The Northern Parts beyond The Trent, in which the following arms are confirmed to Elias Micklethwait of York (ID No 15) son of John Micklethwait of Ingbirchworth, Co York (ID No 3). The fact that the arms were confirmed rather than granted indicates that they had been in use by the family prior to 1626. The letter found that these arms belonged to 'the old family of Micklethwayt' and were so recorded amongst those 'of illustrious people in these northern parts'